Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Opening Day at Fenway

Okay, I’ve been trying to be good about writing these blog entries while I’m at work (month-old new job, nonetheless), but today it’s simply unavoidable. The home opener for the Red Sox started at 2:00, and since I can’t stream audio OR video for the occasion, I closely followed the action on MLB.com GameCast, as well as my favorite Red Sox message board. There’s no way I was missing out completely on this grand occasion.

(I took notes as the game went along, and tried to past-tense this entry the best I could afterwards, so please bear with me if there’s any nasty logic or tense jumps.)

Though I already love Beckett after his strong 7-inning win in Texas to open the season, I wish he didn’t take lessons from Schilling on how to give up first-inning runs. I know sometimes the offense needs a little motivation to get going, I’d just rather that motivation not be in the form of cheap runs. Walking in a run is never acceptable, especially from as good a pitcher as Beckett. I’m going to chalk that one up to opening-day jitters.

All was not lost, tough. Becket battled out of a bases-loaded, one-out jam by getting Glaus to ground into a double play. The Sox rallied back in the bottom of the second on a few key doubles from Lowell, Stern and Youkilis, plating 4 runs in the wall-ball onslaught. There’s just so many great things with that last sentence, I don’t know where to begin.

Let’s go in order. Lowell, whom many thought was beyond his prime and would be a hindrance both in the field and at the plate, put together a beautiful 4-4 day with three doubles. Though this was by far his best game in a Sox uniform so far, the hits he’s had before have been timely.

Adam Stern, the Canadian manning center field in the absence of Crisp, has been talking Sox fans back from the ledge in his past two starts. The young callup has shown good defense (even dating back to the World Baseball Classic in his Canuck uniform), and his .333 batting average may land him the leadoff spot in the lineup in favor of the cement-footed Youkilis. Though I’m sure all Sox fans in the nation are eagerly awaiting the return of Crisp, Stern is helping us pass the time with much less anxiety.

And Youk, he’s still my boy. I love that he’s going to get some serious playing time this season, whether at first or third. He rakes the ball at the plate, and has an amazing eye and patience.

Beckett went on cruise control after that first inning, allowing only one run on three hits through 7 innings. I can’t wait to get home and watch this game, with Beckett screaming and pumping his fist after mowing down the Jays all game. Baseball is back in Boston, baby.

Our free-swinging platooner Wily Mo came into the game in the 5th, replacing Trot Nixon in right field. Going merely on what I’ve read on message boards, Trot made an awkward dive for a ball in the first inning, where he must have tweaked one of many sore weak muscles. I love the guy, don’t get me wrong, but for some reason its hard for him to stay healthy.

In the “no surprise there” department, Wily Mo swung at the first pitch he saw in the game and flied out. In his last at-bat, three pitches, three swings, three misses. Will someone please tell this guy to watch one for once? Just one pitch for a change?

Speaking of strikeouts, Manny had a rough day at the plate. An 0-4 day with two K’s to his name. His average is looking dangerously similar to his slow start of the 2005 season.

I have to give Kudos to Keith Foulke, who seems to be taking his loss of the Closer role in stride. The new system of Foulke in the 8th, Papelbon in the 9th is working wonders, and no one has heard a peep from the Sox. Its pretty evident why this new system is here to stay for a while, though: Foulke gave up a 2-run shot in the 8th, while Papelbon closed out the win with a 1-2-3 9th. That brings Papelbon’s ERA this season to ZERO. Not one earned run so far. Now THAT’S a closer.

So Opening Day at Fenway is in the books, and the Sox are sitting atop the AL East with a 6-1 record. Starting pitching looks tough, the bullpen is doing its job, and our offense has shown some pop thus far. Not a bad way to break in a newly-renovated Fenway Park.

Let’s just hope Boomer’s return to the mound is a successful one tomorrow and he keeps the streak alive. You never know what you’re going to get with his first few starts of the season.

The Yankees had some trouble with the Royals in today’s game. Wang couldn’t hold on to an early 4-1 lead, with Kansas City taking a 7-4 advantage late in the game. Tanyon Sturtze, the cheap-shot artist who choke-holded Nixon in the Brawl Game in 2004, relieved Wang in the seventh and promptly gave up a solo shot to Shane Costa. Jeter rallied them back, however, with a 3-run homer for a 9-7 lead, and Rivera closed it out for the win. Let’s hope the Royals bullpen shakes off today’s debacle and at least takes one from the Yanks. As much as I enjoy seeing them in the cellar, I’m certain it won’t last for too long.

Bronson Arroyo has done it again. In just his second start of the season, Captain Cornrows has belted another home run, bringing his season total to two. Just for the record, that’s just as many as Big Papi and Manny. Combined.

Post game update: After I got home, I had a chance to watch some highlights from today's game at Fenway, and I have a few comments that couldn't go un-added.

I'll get the bad out of the way first. I need to retract the dig on Foulke for giving up a two-run homer in today's game. He actually gave up a long fly-ball out that Wily Mo batted over the right-field fence for a homer. The ball was in his glove, he continued a good step and a half backwards, and lost the ball when he ran into the fence. Probably a tough catch, especially the way that fence seems to be at the perfect back-wrenching height, but still a catchable ball. I suddenly fear both Wily Mo's offense AND defense. Or severe lack thereof, as the case may be.

On a good note, did you see that double play turned by Gonzalez? Sick! As much as I hate his Mendoza-line batting average, his quickness and skill on the field makes up for a lot. Loretta managed to get a glove on a bullet shot headed for the outfield, but it was too far over his head, batting it behind second base. Out of nowhere, Gonzalez swoops in, snares the hop, steps on second and fires to first to complete the innng-ending double play. How I missed having such a fleet-footed, slick-fielding shortstop out there for the Sox! Reminds me of the days of OCab.

No comments: