Friday, March 17, 2006

Hey Hey Hey, Goodbye

Its official: Team USA is out of the World Baseball Classic.

After a less-than-impressive showing throughout the tournament (I still think that 17-1 drubbing of South Africa was a disgrace), America’s collection of superstars was ousted in a 2-1 nailbiter in Anaheim last night. Heavy hitters were shut down, and even the timeless Rocket gave up 6 hits in just over 4 innings. Probably not the script he hoped for in what might be his last game ever.

But I say, good for Team Mexico! With just a few MLB players on their roster, this team wasn’t given much of a chance throughout the tourney. Even their advancement to the second round was a surprise to many. And now they’ve managed to topple a giant, eliminating one of the Big Three in the tournament.

Sure didn’t seem like that fact was lost on anyone at Angel Stadium, either. Thousands of face-painted fans cheered long after the game was over, even though Mexico themselves didn’t advance to the semis with the win (that funny math came into play again, sending Japan to San Diego instead).

Maybe it was retribution for the last World Cup: the US team ousted Mexico in that tournament, a game where Mexico was heavily favored. It was close to a public outcry the next day, how could the USA beat Mexico at its own sport like that.

Well, touche’ Mexico. Today is your day.

Day two of the NCAA tournament, and I’m still giddy. Missed five from all of yesterday’s games (16), not too bad. Syracuse really stuck it to me, falling to a 12-seed for the second year in a row. I had them in the Sweet 16, dammit.

Oh, and Iona over LSU, a 13-4 upset? That’s just greedy. I deserve that one.

My 11-6 upsets aren’t panning out so good, either. I blew the Oklahoma pick, and let loyalty to a former home lead me to pick San Diego State over Indiana. Bad move. Now my remaining two 11-6 upset picks are looking pretty shaky: George Mason over Michigan State, and Southern Illinois over West Virginia.

Michigan State is always a tough team in the tourney, and I’m not sure how much experience GM has in the big dance. I think I thought I was picking George Washington with that one. Yeah, that’s my excuse. I HAD to go with the Salukis, they’re always good for a shocking run or two in these tourneys, but my buddy, who’s much more well versed in hoops than I, picked West Virginia as his dark horse to go all the way. As a 6-seed, that’s tough to do, but since I picked Southern Illinois, his odds just improved.

Tipoff just after Noon today. Clock is tickin’ …

No comments: