Tuesday, March 07, 2006

The Original Minnesota Thief

Kirby Puckett, 1960-2006

Today the world of baseball is one member shy of its ranks of the greatest players of all time.

Before center fielder Torii Hunter became the face of the Twins with his miraculous wall-climbing catches, stunning speed and ear-to-ear grin, there was Kirby. The original captain of the outfield turf, Puckett spent an entire career patrolling the vast expanse of the Metrodome, robbing hard-working batters of well-deserved two-baggers. I can still picture him in mid-leap at the plastic outfield wall, seemingly paused for a moment at his apex as he waits for the ball to gently plunk into his mitt.

Puckett was one of those players I consider myself lucky to have seen play during his prime. I’ll never forget his performance during the 1991 World Series, one of the absolute best that I’ve ever seen, against the Atlanta Braves. Seven game series, couple extra-inning matchups, Jack Morris pitching 10 innings in the finale. And there was Puckett, making outstanding grabs in the outfield, and forcing a Game 7 witih his 11th inning home run to win Game 6.

These are memories that can’t be turned off like a television. When I’m too old and senile to see the TV or understand what’s going on around me, I’ll be able to replay moments like those in my feeble mind over and over. The never-ending highlight reel of the greats of my time. And Kirby Puckett is as deserving a member as anyone out there.

It was a hard day for me when I heard Puckett was being forced to retire due to lost vision in his right eye. I shook my fist at the baseball gods for prematurely ending a wonderful career of such a classy ballplayer. I felt cheated, robbed of some good years of watching some amazing catches, powerful swing, bald head, and infectious smile.

And today, the baseball world has once again been robbed of the great pleasure of company from a great man.

We’ll miss ya, Kirby.

1 comment:

Marcelo said...

Amen! Kirby was the real deal, as in LEGIT. Yes, I'm talking to you Barry Bonds.