Monday, March 27, 2006

Rock'em Sock'em

I've never cared much for Julian Tavarez, a journeyman relief pitcher that's older than Bud Selig himself, but he REALLY hit the bottom of the barrel for me today.

While pitching an Spring Training game (for my beloved Red Sox, nonetheless), Tavarez was covering home when Joey Gathright attempted to score. A close play at the plate resulted in a hard Gathright slide into Tavarez, one which the ugliest man in baseball must have taken offense to. Tavarez stood on Gathright's arm so he couldn't get up. Gathright pushed him off, got to his knees, and caught a vicious right hook from Tavarez! While still on his knees!

Needless to say, a bench-clearing brawl ensued, and God I hope Tavarez caught a few extra punches, got bit, hit in his jewels, something. He's only been a Red Sox for Spring Training, and I sincerely hope that's as far as his tenure with Boston lasts. I fully understand the need to stand up for yourself, but Tavarez, a known hot-head, crossed a major line when he punched Gathright.

Now, I don't have all the details behind the whole incident (though I'm sure it will be covered extensively on SportsCenter tonight), I can't imagine there's ANY good reason to haul off and sock a guy who's barely off his knees. I don't want to see a guy with an attitude like that in the majors period, much less on my favorite team.

Theo, we're good on pitching. Traded away a great young thrower last week we're so stacked.

Do we really need this troublemaker?

Okay, I just may have to NEVER fill out an NCAA Tourney bracket again. And unfortunately, its not because I'm doing so well, there's nothing left for me to conquer. Nope, just the opposite: I managed to pick a grand total of ZERO Final Four teams. Not a one. Zilch. If Red Marker Cross Out was a team, then sure, I won big. But that ain't the case.

In fact, I did so poorly, I'm offering my unique team-jinxing services to the public. That's right, I'm a fan for hire. Or, Anti-Fan as it were. No matter which team I've rooted for in this year's tourney, they've lost. Syracuse didn't make it out of the first round. BC lost a heartbreaker to 'Nova. UNC fell to this year's Cinderella, George Mason. And the team I picked to win it all, Gonzaga, was reduced to a blubbering heap at center court by UCLA.

So its time for you, Joe Fan, to put my talents to work for YOU. Highest bidder gets me to root for the team of your choice. I'm so confident they'll lose, I'm offering a money-back guarantee. Look for me on eBay soon ...

Go Lady Terps! The Maryland women edged out Utah in OT to advance to their first Final Four in 17 years. Where I'm tempted to go see them when they're here in Boston, I'm afraid that NCAA tourney jinx of mine may extend to women's hoops, too.

Plus, its women's hoops. Sorry.

No comments: